Wednesday, March 15, 2006

To Intervene with Ancient Cultural Functions.

...and once again:
Culture/Parental Presure- 1
Americanism/Rebellion- 0
In what way you ask?
Well, I was talking to my best friend Michi, and she had shocking news.
Her older sister agreed to have an arranged marriage. Her older, will-not-shave-because-she's-a-feminist-pink-converse-wearing-elastica-hearing-must-not-fall-into-typical-northern-Indian-culture sister. This boisterous, rude, [to her sister]outspoken, but clever woman decided to give in to her parent's desires and go along with an arranged marriage.
This turn of events put Michi into a wary state of awareness- her sister had been pressured for years on end to get married- year after year, "You are getting too old to find a suitable husband."
Michi is next on the list of Bachelorettes.
Too bad that she has a [non-Indian] boyfriend, and she has no plans to marry any time soon. AT ALL. In fact, I truly hope her current boyfriend is "the one." He is just perfect for her, they share the same values and he is so fucking cute. Two peas in a pod.
I know that as a student all for cultural preservation, I would encourage Michi to stick to her cultural roots[and her parent's best interests]. However, Michi is an American-and she is well-assimilated into this society that an arranged marriage simply does not make sense. She is too much of a dreamer, dependent of love- so much so that forcing love upon a man who I know she will not find attractive [in any aspect] would crush her emotionally. A Sikh would probably look at me as if I were crazy- but I must argue that the functions of an Indian arranged marriage do not [and will not] suit Michi in any form, and as her best friend, I am partially responsible for her well-being- so all I've got to say is that she is free to marry whomever she wants.
I just hope that she does not feel pressured into the same trap that her sister swore not to fall in years ago.

1 comment:

  1. Your post is touching, though I have a minor correction. I think you meant Sikh instead of Sheik. I mean I'd love to say Sikhs are Sheik people, but we aren't. Its a difficult struggle, to be cultural and to be American. Americanism is basically the lack of a cultural identity, as much as they want to deny this brutal fact. As many parents will say "You can't have the best of both worlds, you need to decide." For instance, Josh's parents are very American but they can't even take care of their son and dont' accept that his education should be a priority. My parents are willing to help my friends out even though they don't have money to give out. What a difference, American vs Asian! Get the picture?

    ReplyDelete