Sunday, March 5, 2006

A Favorite.


[ Shostakovich, Dmitri. 1906-1975.]

One of my favorite composers all time, Dmitri Shostakovich's music always gives me goosebumps.

Seriously.

One of my favorite pieces, String Quartet No. 8 is one of the most autobiographical and touching pieces of this fascinating man. At the brink of suicide, this piece musically conveys the suffering of man. No. 8 also speaks against the terrors of war, for he lived to witness one of the worst tragedies in history, the rise of Nazi Germany.
However, he did manage to live to Germany's demise, but his music still reflects a pain so tangible, that many composers after him have difficulty to reproduce.

That is why Shostakovich's music is so beautiful and colorful, but at the same time inflicts such pain and suffering.

If you are dealing with a big break up, I definitely do not recomment No. 8. I'd rather have you wait.

Until then, The Gomez is out.

No comments:

Post a Comment